HAPPY WORLD TURTLE DAY
Started by the American Tortoise Rescue, #worldturtleday aims to raise awareness and inspire action on behalf of the turtles and tortoises everywhere! Turtles and tortoises as the worlds most threatened vertebrates. Loss of habitat, pollution, and poaching continue to threaten their existence on our planet. A world without turtles and tortoises? That’s no place I want to be.
American Tortoise Rescue has a few tips on how you can help keep them around for generations to come!
- NEVER BUY a turtle or tortoise from a pet shop as it increases demand from the wild.
- REPORT THE SALE of any turtle or tortoise of any kind less than four inches. This is illegal throughout the U.S.
- REPORT THE CRUELTY or illegal sales of turtles and tortoises to your local animal control shelter.
- NEVER REMOVE turtles or tortoises from the wild unless they are sick or injured.
- WRITE LETTER to legislators asking them to keep sensitive habitat preserved or closed to off-road vehicles, and to prevent offshore drilling that can lead to more endangered sea turtle deaths.
- EMERGENCY CARE If a tortoise is crossing a busy street, pick it up and send it in the same direction it was going – if you try to make it go back, it will turn right around again.